What is the WebM file? How to open WebM files? There are 5 WebM players to help you open WebM files easily and quickly. MiniTool software is the best WebM player. It can open WebM files, edit WebM files, and convert WebM files.
Do you know what is WebM file?
How to play WebM file?
Don’t worry! This post will tell you what is the WebM format and how to open it with the best WebM player, and some other tips about WebM file you need to know.
What Is WebM File?
WebM file is a video file with the .webm file extension. The WebM file format is based on the same video format that utilizes the MKV file extension.
Related article: how to edit MKV
WebM file uses VP8 technology to compress video and uses Ogg Vorbis compression to compress audio. In other words, WebM file is an alternative to the H.264 and MPEG-4 standards.
Usually, WebM file uses the HTML5 "video" tag to deliver online videos, making it supported by most web browsers. For example, you can find there are many WebM videos from 360p up to high resolutions on YouTube. Conversely, you can download YouTube videos to WebM.
Related article: how to download YouTube videos
How to Open WebM file?
You can use a web browser on a computer to play WebM file since it is used on HTML5 for video streaming.
- Open Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Opera. (You cannot use Safari.)
- Open file browser with the keyboard shortcut. Windows users can press Ctrl + O and Mac users press Cmd + O.
- Double-click your WebM file to play it.
If your browser cannot open WebM file, you can try WebM player. However, not all video players can open WebM files. Fortunately, this post list top 5 best free WebM players for macOS and Windows 10.
Top 5 Free WebM Players
- MiniTool MovieMaker
- Windows Media Player
- 5K Player
Best Free WebM Players
There are different video players. To play the WebM file, you can try the following WebM players. With these tools, you can easily play WebM files without any difficulty.
#1. MiniTool MovieMaker
MiniTool MovieMaker, a free video maker, is recommended here because of its powerful functions. This free tool not only can create and edit movies but also can be used as a video player, like MKV player, MP4 player, WebM player, etc. Also, this free tool can change WebM to another video format easily, it even can convert WebM to GIF.
Related article: video to GIF
MiniTool MovieMaker, free, no ads, no bundle tool, can play WebM file, and other video files, or audio files easily as long as you take the following steps.
How to Play WebM files?
- Download and install MiniTool MovieMaker. Launch this free video player on your PC, and close the movie template window to enter into its man interface.
- Click the import media file to import your WebM file.
- Drage and drop it to the timeline, and click the play button in the preview window to review it. You can choose the Ful Screen button to preview it.
This free WebM player lets you easily enjoy your files. More importantly, it contains some basic features to help you edit WebM files:
- Trim video, split video, rotate video, and merge multiple files into one to make a cool movie.
- Add animated text including titles, subtitles, and end credits to video.
- Apply video transitions as well as filter effects to video.
- Mute the background music from video, add music to video, and even extract audio from video.
In a word, MiniTool MovieMaker is a good video editor as well as a video player for WebM and other video file formats.
- It is a free, no ads, no bundle, watermark-free WebM video player, WebM video editor, and WebM converter.
- It supports many video file formats including WebM, AVI, MP4, MP3, etc.
- It lets you create and edit movies easily.
- It lets you change the video format, video bitrate, video resolution as well as video quality.
It only supports Windows operating systems.
#2. Windows Media Player
Windows users always use Windows Media Player to play video files. However, if this player doesn’t have the necessary audio and video codecs, you cannot open WebM files. To be specific, Windows Media Player 12 users need to install WebM Media Foundation Components, and the earlier users need to install WebM DirectShow filters.
To open WebM file, you can open Windows Media player, and double-click the WebM file in the Media Library.
- You can change the Windows Media Player skin.
- It lets you share movies or files with friends.
- You can watch streaming videos.
- It can play a variety of files including .wma, .mp3, .dat, .amr, .avi.
- It doesn’t support MKV format.
- There is no feature of increasing the sound.
Related article: MKV player.
VLC Media Player, a free and cross-platform software, is available for Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, and Android, and it supports almost all video formats. Therefore, it can be used as a WebM player. And, it supports subtitles and audio and video settings.
- It can rotate video.
- You can control this video player using mouse gestures.
- It can record desktop screen.
- It can play multiple videos simultaneously.
The editing metadata isn't as straightforward as in some other players.
Miro is a free and open-source music player and video player. This player can play a wide spectrum of audio and video files and lets you organize your video or music libraries. It is a free alternative to iTunes with more flexibility. Besides, Miro can player lets you download and watch YouTube videos, and allows you to convert video format.
Related article: how to watch YouTube offline
- It can play WebM files in Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- It can download videos from YouTube, podcasts, Amazon, and BitTorrent.
- It can convert almost any video into MP4/H264.
Related article: change video format
This video player cannot play 4K or higher resolutions.
#5. 5K Player
5K player is a powerful media player that can play almost all commonly used audio file formats including 360-degree and 8K videos, and lets you manage your entire video collection.
5K player can add your entire computer video library, thus you can select a video from this video player rather than searching your hard drive. You can quickly watch your WebM files.
Also, 5K player lets you download videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook or Dailymotion. Free 5K player is supported by ads. Although you cannot see the ads while watching a video, you will see it when you search your library or tweak settings.
- It supports Windows 10/8/7/XP and Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
- It can play lossy/lossless music.
- It lets you download videos from YouTube, Facebook, etc.
It contains ads.
3 Necessary Tips about WebM Files
After learning how to open WebM files with the top 5 WEBM players, let’s see another 3 necessary tips.
- How to edit WebM files?
- How to convert WebM to MP4 or another video file format?
- How to download WebM files from YouTube?
Keep reading to find the answers.
How to Edit WebM Files?
MiniTool MovieMaker is the best free WebM player for Windows users. In general, this free player is a great WebM editor. This free tool offers some basic features to help you edit WebM files.
In the main interface of MiniTool MovieMaker, you can see there are many options in the menu bar and toolbar.
- You can add transitions like fade in, fade out, dissolve, etc. to videos.
- You can apply video filters as well as add animated text to video to complete your story.
- You can merge multiple WebM files, split video, trim video, add music to video, mute the background noise from video, rotate video, etc.
- You can convert video to another video format, and change video quality, change video resolution, change video bitrate, etc.
- You can apply ken burn effects to video.
- You can change video speed, and reverse video.
Here, for instance, if you want to add text to video, you can click the Titles button, drag and drop a caption module to the desired video in the timeline. (Titles and end credits can be added to the beginning or end of videos.) Next, change the text words, and save the result.
Want to know more functions, you can download this free WebM player as well as WebM editor and have a try.
How to Convert WebM to MP4?
There is no doubt that MP4 format has become a standard because MP4 and H.264 have been in use for many years. Conversely, WebM files are a relatively recent development.
Almost all applications support MP4 video format. However, you cannot open and edit WebM files in every device. For instance, iPhones and other Apple devices don’t support WebM files. Thus, in some cases, you can convert WebM to MP4.
MiniTool MovieMaker is a WebM player and WebM converter. The following steps are shown here:
- Open MiniTool MovieMaker, and import your WebM files.
- Drag and drop WebM files to timeline. If you like, you can edit this video file, such as trim video to remove some unwanted parts.
- Click the export button to save the WebM file to MP4.
More details can be found in WebM to MP4
Of course, this WebM converter lets you convert WebM to other formats, such as WebM to MP4, WebM to MKV, WebM to MP3, etc. And, you can convert MP4 to WebM via MiniTool MovieMaker.
How to Download WebM Files?
To download YouTube videos to WebM, you can try MiniTool uTube Downloader. This free YouTube downloader lets you download videos easily, download subtitles, and download YouTube playlist.
Step 1. Open MiniTool uTube Downloader.
Step 2. Find the video you want to download and click the Download button.
Step 3. Select video format like WebM and click the Download button.
WebM video file format is an open-source alternative to other video formats, and WebM file is widely regarded as the file format for Internet videos. You can open WebM files in your web browser, or open it with WebM players.
There are top 5 different free WebM players. Which video player are you using to play WebM videos? Leave a comment and let us know. If you have any good video players to open WebM files, please share them with us. Thanks!
WebM Player FAQ
- Open MiniTool MovieMaker, and import your media files.
- Drag and drop the WebM file to the timeline.
- Click the play button in the preview window to review it.