When it comes to free video editing software, there are many options to choose from. This post introduces 5 best open source video editors to help professionals edit videos free of charge. However, if you are a beginner, it is recommended to use MiniTool MovieMaker.
What is an open source video editor?
An open source video editor contains source code that enables you to customize the program to your needs. So, people with a bit of coding knowledge and video editing experience may prefer it.
Which is the best open source video editor?
Let’s check out the list below.
Do you want to try an automatic video editor to make videos quickly? This post has compiled 6 auto video editors for your reference. Just check this guide now!
OpenShot is an easy-to-use, free, and powerful video editor. Meanwhile, it is one of the best open source video editors on the market and now it is available on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- Quickly split and trim video.
- Fade, slide, bounce, and animate anything in the video project.
- Add as many layers as you need for watermarks, background videos, audio tracks, and more.
- Apply various video effects.
- Visualize audio files as waveforms.
- Reverse, slow down and speed up video.
- Add title to video.
- Render beautiful 3D animated titles and effects.
Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor. When considering the features, it offers almost everything that you would ever need.
- Support popular video/audio/image file formats.
- Support for 4K resolutions.
- Resize, scale, trim, snap, rotate, and cut video.
- Real-time preview.
- Stereo, mono, and 5.1 surround.
- Audio mixing across all tracks.
- Compositing, image overlays, watermarks.
What’s VN Video Editor? Is it available for your PC or Mac? How to download VN Video Editor? What’s the best VN Video Editor alternative for PC? Read this post!
Lightworks is another best open source video editor, available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s absolutely packed with useful features and the free version should be more than enough for you.
- A wide range of video formats supported.
- Access amazing royalty-free audio & video content.
- Create HD quality 2K and even 4K videos.
- High precision video trimming and splitting.
- 2D and 3D text animations are present.
- Synchronize multiple videos recorded by different cameras.
- Export video for YouTube/Vimeo.
Related article: Top 16 Sites to Download Free Sound Effects
Blender is also one of the best open source video editors. However, video editing is only a fraction of what it can do. It is actually a professional-grade 3D creation suite.
- 3D modeling, sculpting, painting, animation, and much more.
- Live preview, Luma Waveform, chroma vectorscope, and histogram displays.
- Audio mixing, syncing, scrubbing, and waveform visualization.
- Up to 32 slots for adding video, images, audio, and effects.
- Speed control, adjustment layers, transitions, filters, and more.
Are you looking for a free OBS video editor? This post offers the top 4 OBS video editors that help you edit OBS recorded videos for free.
Without Kdenlive, the list of the best open source video editors is incomplete. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, and can also be customized according to your needs or habits.
- Support all kinds of audio/video formats.
- Customizable interface and shortcuts.
- Support unlimited video/audio tracks.
- Visible audio waveforms.
- Come with numerous video transitions, effects, and filters.
- Basic video editing functions such as cut and crop.
If the above 5 best open source video editors do not meet your requirements, then we recommend that you try free video editing software – MiniTool MovieMaker. The software is not open source, but it is 100% free and safe.
If you have any questions or suggestions about it, please let us know via [email protected] or share them in the comments section below.
You may also like: