GIF is one of the most popular ways for people to express their feelings. You can find tons of GIFs on the Web. Of course, you can also make a GIF by yourself (To make a GIF, try MiniTool MovieMaker developed by MiniTool). In this post, we will teach you how to edit a GIF and provide top 8 GIF editors. Check out this post!
GIF, formally known as Graphics Interchange Format, is a bitmap image format. But you can’t directly edit GIFs like images on your computer or phone. To edit GIFs, you need to use GIF editor software. This post shows you how to edit a GIF on computer/phone/online and offer you the top 8 GIF editors.
Part 1: How to Edit A GIF
Part one tells you how to edit a GIF on computer/phone/online.
How to Edit A GIF on Computer
Here are two GIF editors that help you to edit a GIF on computer. Let’s see how they work.
MiniTool MovieMaker is a free and clean GIF editing software and GIF maker. You can use it to add text to GIF, trim GIF, split GIF and change GIF resolution. Besides, it allows you to convert video to GIF and vice versa.
In addition to that, this tool also is a video converter. With it, you can convert VOB to MP4, WMV to MP3, MP4 to WebM, MKV to MP4, etc.
Now, below are the detailed steps on how to edit a GIF by using MiniTool MovieMaker.
Step 1: Download and install MiniTool MovieMaker.
Step 2. Launch the software and close the movie template window to enter its main interface.
Step 3. Click on Import Media Files to add the target GIF to the Media Library.
Step 4. Drag and drop the GIF to the timeline.
1. Remove some frames from GIF
Step 1. Move the playhead to where you want to split and click on the scissor icon to split the GIF.
Step 2. Choose the clip you want to remove and right-click on it to choose the Delete option.
2. Add text to GIF
Step 1. Switch to the Text tab. This GIF editor offers lots of captions, choose the one you like.
Step 2. Hover your mouse on captions to preview them and select your favorite caption from this list.
Step 3. Drag and drop the desired caption to the text timeline and enter the text. You can change the font color, size and type. Or move the text on the GIF to the right place.
Step 4. When you’re done, click on OK to apply this change.
Step 5. If you want to adjust the duration of the text, you can move one side to the left or to the right.
Step 6. Click on Export to go on. The MP4 format is checked by default, so you need to choose the GIF format from the list.
Step 7. Finally, tap on Export to export the edited GIF without a watermark.
Are you interested in how to remove watermarks from video, see this post: How to Remove Watermark from Video and Photo Efficiently.
If you’ve installed Photoshop on your computer, you may wonder can I edit a GIF in Photoshop. Yes, you can. Let’s take a look at how to edit a GIF with the professional image editor - Photoshop.
Step 1. Launch Photoshop on the computer and import the GIF file.
Step 2. The timeline window shows in the bottom of the screen. Here you can set the GIF on a loop. To loop a GIF, click on this icon to set the GIF on a loop if you want.
Step 3. Also, you can tap the text icon in the left toolbar to add text to the GIF.
Step 4. Once you’re done, click on File and select the option Save for Web (legacy) from the list by hitting the Export button.
If the GIF file size is too large, you want to reduce its file size. Read this post to learn how to resize GIF: Top 5 Best GIF Resizers of 2020 (Desktop & Online).
How to Edit A GIF on Phone
After knowing how to edit a GIF on computer, this part tells you how to use a GIF editor app on your phone. With it, you can edit GIF anytime anywhere.
Here recommend the most popular GIF editor app – GIF Maker & GIF Editor. It’s a free GIF application. It lets you make and edit GIF with no watermark. Also, it supports converting video clips to GIFs.
Step 1. Download and install GIF Maker & GIF Editor.
Step 2. Open the app on your phone and get the main interface.
Step 3. Click on Edit GIF and choose the GIF you want to edit.
Step 4. After that, you can save it on your phone.
What is GIF? What animated image formats can be used to replace GIFs? What is the best alternative for GIF file formats? Find answers here!
How to Edit A GIF Online
Want to edit a GIF without any software? This part offers you the most powerful and popular online GIF editor – Ezgif.com and a detailed guide on how to use this tool.
Step 1. Open your browser and go to EZgif.com.
Step 2. Then you’ll see various GIF editing tools in the toolbar. Just choose the one you like, take censor GIF for example.
Step 3. Move your mouse on Effects and select the option Cut duration from the pop-up list.
Step 4. Tap Choose File to add the GIF and hit the Upload! button.
Step 5. Edit the number in the Cutting options tab and press the Cut duration! button to continue.
Step 6. Scroll down the page and find the SAVE button. Then tap on it to download the GIF.
Part 2: Top 8 GIF Editors
Here are top 8 GIF editors in 2020
- MiniTool MovieMaker
- Image Online.co
- Gif Maker & GIF Editor
- GIF Maker – Video to GIF
Part 2 presents the main features of 8 GIF editors, have a look!
#1. MiniTool MovieMaker
MiniTool MovieMaker is not only a video editor, but a GIF editor software. It has a simple and clean interface that lets you edit your video or GIF effortlessly. Additionally, it offers a variety of transitions, effects and captions. Apart from that, it allows you to make a cool video in seconds with its movie templates.
- It’s free with no watermarks, no bundles and no ads.
- It supports GIF, MKV, MP4, WMV, AVI, RMVB, VOB, MOV, etc.
- It enables you to edit GIF and convert MP4 to GIF.
- It offers stunning transitions, effects, captions and titles.
- You can create a video easily with cool movie templates it provided.
- It’s a video trimmer and splitter.
- It can work on Windows 7/Windows 8.1/Windows 10.
Video splitters can help you easily split videos. This post shows 7 different free video splitters, and you can try them to split video easily.
EZgif.com is an online GIF editor that offers a set of tool to edit GIFs. With it, you can make, crop, optimize, resize, split, reverse, rotate and apply filters to GIFs. More than that, video clip can be converted to GIF.
- It’s a free online GIF editor.
- It allows converting video to GIF.
- It lets you resize, optimize, split and write text over GIF.
- It can be used to save GIFs from twitter.
Lunapic is an online image editor that comes with tons of features. More importantly, you can use this tool to edit GIF animation.
- It can change the speed of GIF. To learn more, see this post: 5 Best GIF Speed Changers to Help You Change Speed of GIF.
- You can view full sized frames and remove unnecessary frames.
- It lets you set frame delay and contact sheet of frames.
- Optimize GIF are also allowed.
#4. Image Online.co
It’s a free web application that contains no hidden payments. This tool is easy to use and you can edit GIF online without losing quality.
- It has an ease-of-use interface.
- It supports to convert GIF to JPG and PNG.
- It allows extracting images from GIF and joining GIF.
- You can rotate and flip GIF as you like.
- It offers additional features like image filters, image manipulation tools and image conversion tools.
- No sign up required.
This online GIF editor allows you to add moving text over a GIF and offers some basic GIF editing tools. Besides, if you don’t know how to edit a GIF with Gifntext.com, you can browse the tutorials they provided.
- You can paste the GIF URL and edit it online.
- It enables you to add moving text to a GIF and add moving images over a GIF.
- It allows you to add captions and subtitles to a GIF.
- It provides other editing features like customize text color and outline.
- You can animate the text and added the image on GIF.
- It’s free to use.
GifMaker is a GIF editor app that you can create GIF from your video clip. You can also directly post your GIF on Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Gipphy, Instagram, etc.
- You can cut or crop videos before making GIFs.
- It provides over 200 pictures, 100 stickers to help you create GIFs.
- It can add a label with text style and color to GIF.
- You can share your GIF with everyone.
- You can browse funny GIFs on this app.
#7. GIF Maker & GIF Editor
GIF Maker & GIF Editor supports 22 languages. By using this free GIF editor app, you can edit GIF, image, video and screen record without watermarks.
- It can combine multiple images into one GIF.
- It can help record video and convert it to GIF. To record video, you may like: 4 Best Free Streaming Video Recorders for 2020.
- It allows making GIFs with background and modifying GIF like resize, change speed, etc.
- It lets you compress GIF and share it on social media.
#8. GIF Maker – Video to GIF
The application is completely free. With the help of this tool, you can quickly create animated GIF files.
- It supports converting video to GIF and images to GIF.
- It’s also a meme maker tool.
- You can add or remove frames from GIF.
- It provides all features needed to edit GIFs, such as crop, flip, reverse, etc.
How do you download GIFs when you can directly save GIFs from websites? You can download GIF from URL with URL to GIF converters.
To sum up, this post gives you a detailed guide on how to edit a GIF and top 8 GIF editors. If you like this post, don’t forget to share it with others.
If you have any questions about editing GIFs, please leave a comment below.
How to Edit A GIF FAQ
- Download and install MiniTool MovieMaker. Then run it.
- Import the GIF and add it to the timeline.
- You can rotate and split it as you like. After that, click the Export to open the export window.
- Tap on Export to export the edited GIF.
- Download and install GIF maker on your phone.
- Import the GIF and edit it.
- Once you’re done, save the GIF you just edited on your phone.
- Download and install MiniTool MovieMaker, and launch it.
- Import the video. Then drag and drop it to the timeline.
- Click the Export and choose the GIF format in the Format box.
- Hit the Export button to convert video to GIF.